(Updated January 24, 2020)
- Please read these terms and conditions of use carefully.
- Please note: Video contributions will only be published if their creators are the winners of the prizes or finalists of the online voting (see section 4 for more information.)
b@s videochallenge (see videochallenge.online for more information) is a video competition by business@school, the educational initiative of the international management consulting firm The Boston Consulting Group GmbH, Ludwigstraße 21, 80539 Munich (BCG). The purpose of the competition is to give students ages 14 to 20 at all types of schools first-hand, practical experience with business topics and digital skills.
Important dates for the b@s videochallenge competition:
- Submission deadline: August 1 (each year)
- Online voting: will be announced on the website
- Award ceremony: will be announced on the website
The online platform videochallenge.online (“b@s videochallenge platform”) serves as a platform for participating students to upload their video contributions, communicate with BCG, and vote on the video contributions.
These terms and conditions of use govern the contractual relationships for the use of the b@s videochallenge platform and the participation in the b@s videochallenge competition between you as participants on the one hand and BCG on the other. In addition, the data privacy statement for the b@s videochallenge competition (accessible at https://videochallenge.online/en/privacy-policy/) provides information on the processing of your personal information when using the b@s videochallenge platform during the b@s videochallenge competition. The data privacy statement is not part of these terms and conditions of use. Participation in the b@s videochallenge competition is only possible upon acceptance of these terms and conditions of use. You may download these terms and conditions of use to your computer or print them.
1. SCOPE OF APPLICATION
(1) These terms and conditions of use apply to the use of the b@s videochallenge platform provided by BCG to participating students for the duration of the b@s videochallenge competition.
(2) Other offerings of BCG are not subject to these terms and conditions of use.
2. ELIGIBILITY TO USE THE PLATFORM
Participation in the b@s videochallenge competition is permitted only to individuals between the age of 14 and the age of 20 (at respective date of the submission deadline). Minors require the consent of a parent or legal guardian. The persons eligible to use the platform include only students. Interested students from all types of schools are invited to participate. Only participants from Europe can qualify for one of the regular main prizes. Participation is possible either as an individual or as part of a team of up to six members. Participants may submit only one video for each of the companies or organizations involved in the respective competition year.
3. REGISTRATION FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION
(1) Registration for participation in the competition is possible through (i) electronic registration; (ii) mailing of the signed consent form to BCG; and (iii) upload of your video contribution. By signing the consent form and participating in the b@s videochallenge, you confirm that you are among the persons eligible for participation under section 2. Eligible persons who register for the b@s videochallenge shall be referred to hereinafter as “participants.” In the context of registration, you agree to the correct and complete submission of the required information as requested. You also agree to keep this information up to date in the future insofar as is required for participation in the b@s videochallenge competition, such as for contacting you. BCG is entitled to demand proof of the fulfillment of prerequisites and the correctness of information at any time.
(2) To register for participation, you (or, if you are a minor, your parent or legal guardian) must agree to these present terms and conditions of use.
(3) Upon receipt of the electronic registration (under the category “Participate”), BCG will send you a personalized link (activation link) to the nonpublic participant area of the b@s videochallenge platform by e-mail (under the category “Login”). You can define your password through the activation link. Your registration is only complete once BCG has received your video contribution as well as your original signed consent form by mail or as an uploaded scan in the participant area.
(4) If the video contribution is created by a team, the electronic registration will be performed first by the team spokesperson, who will receive an e-mail with the activation link. The team spokesperson can define his or her password through the activation link. In the nonpublic team area, the team spokesperson can enter the e-mail addresses of the other team members. The team spokesperson should only enter the e-mail addresses of persons who are eligible for participation and who agree to participate in the competition as members of the team spokesperson’s team. BCG will send an e-mail to the provided e-mail addresses with an activation link and a request to agree to these terms and conditions of use. Each team member can define his or her own password through that link. Participation in the b@s videochallenge competition requires that each team member agrees to these terms and conditions of use before using the b@s videochallenge platform and sends a signed consent form to BCG. The registration is only complete once BCG has received the video contribution as well as signed original signed consent forms of all team members by mail or as uploaded scana in the participant area. The team spokesperson may upload the team’s video contribution in the team area.
(5) Please note that receipt of an e-mail with login information does not constitute admission to participate in the b@s videochallenge competition (for admission, see section 4 of these terms and conditions of use below); it merely permits use of the nonpublic participant/team area in accordance with these terms and conditions of use.
(6) The video contribution is uploaded in the nonpublic participant/team area. A video contribution may be withdrawn freely up to one day before the submission deadline. As of the submission deadline, changes are no longer permitted. The latest version of the video contribution uploaded on the day of the submission deadline shall be the version registered for the b@s videochallenge competition.
4. ELIGIBILITY FOR PARTICIPATION AND PUBLICATION
(1) Only video contributions that you created yourself and that fulfill the following criteria will be admissible for participation in the b@s videochallenge competition:
- Covers all questions to be answered for the chosen company in accordance with the information on the b@s videochallenge platform
- File size: max. 400 MB
- File format: .mp4
- Video length: max. 4 minutes
- For cell phone videos: Landscape view
- No advertisements in the video
(2) You do not have a claim to publication of your video or admission to the b@s videochallenge competition. BCG shall decide on admission after your video contribution has been uploaded. BCG will inform you through the b@s videochallenge platform whether your uploaded video contribution is permitted or not.
(3) After the submission deadline, the respective winners of the prizes awarded by the companies analyzed in the context of the competition or involved in the award ceremony and the finalists of the online voting will be chosen. For the duration of the online voting, these finalists will be published in the publicly accessible area of the b@s videochallenge platform and opened to the vote. Insofar as personal information is part of the video contribution, it will be published outside the nonpublic area only with the corresponding provision of consent (see section 2.4 of the data privacy statement). All participants with approved video contributions will receive a written certificate of participation after the award ceremony for their participation in the b@s videochallenge competition.
5. PROVISION OF THE B@S VIDEOCHALLENGE PLATFORM
(1) Until the award ceremony, BCG provides participants in the b@s videochallenge competition a nonpublic area on the b@s videochallenge platform for uploads of video contributions, coordination with team members, and communication between BCG and participants. In the publicly accessible area of the b@s videochallenge platform, users may vote on the different video contributions as part of the online voting. Access to the b@s videochallenge platform and the option of participating in the competition and the online voting are granted exclusively within the technical, operational, and financial framework of BCG.
(2) There is no legal claim to the provision of the b@s videochallenge platform. BCG makes no assurances regarding a specific scope of services or the error-free and uninterrupted availability of the b@s videochallenge platform. Individual users are responsible for Internet access and for the state of their own hard- and software.
(3) BCG reserves the right to suspend the b@s videochallenge platform or parts thereof at any time and to change the type and scope of the free services provided. In doing so, BCG will take the legitimate interest of users into account. They will receive reasonable advance notice of such changes by e-mail.
6. GRANTING OF RIGHTS
(1) By signing the declaration of consent and participating in the b@s videochallenge competition, you grant BCG the rights listed in section 2 of the declaration of consent.
(2) BCG reserves the right to delete video contributions and other content of the participants in the b@s videochallenge competition in case of a violation of these terms and conditions of use. However, this does not constitute an assumption of responsibility by BCG. As a participant, you alone are responsible for your content (including any links you may create); in this regard, BCG merely provides you with storage space.
7. GENERAL OBLIGATIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF PARTICIPANTS
(1) You agree not to use the b@s videochallenge platform for commercial purposes and to use it only in the context of the intended purpose of the b@s videochallenge competition. You are furthermore prohibited from uploading multimedia files that could threaten the operation of the b@s videochallenge due to their file size.
(2) You agree not to violate any applicable statutory provisions in using the b@s videochallenge platform. In particular, you will ensure that the content you provide and distribute does not violate any rights of third parties (e.g., copyright, trademark rights, or personal rights) and that any personal data of third parties that you may process in the context of using the b@s videochallenge platform does not violate relevant data protection legislation. In addition, you will ensure in particular that no illegal content in accordance with the German Criminal Code or the Protection of Young Persons Act is published or made accessible, e.g., propaganda material or emblems of anti-constitutional organizations, racist ideas, depictions of violence, pornographic content, or insults and other disrespectful statements.
(3) Insofar as you publish information or content, you agree to formulate this in such a way that the reputation and image of business@school and BCG are not negatively affected. In examining the question of whether reputation or image are negatively affected, the constitutionally protected freedom of opinion of the content provider and the freedom of information of the users of the offering will in particular be taken into account.
(4) You agree not to make the link to the nonpublic participant/team area of the b@s videochallenge platform available to third parties (i.e., any people who are not part of the registered team or its supervising teachers).
8. BCG’S RIGHTS
The b@s videochallenge platform, corresponding computer programs, and content uploaded to the b@s videochallenge platform by employees of BCG is protected by copyright in accordance with statutory provisions. Any reproduction or use is permitted only on the basis of a statutory authorization or with BCG’s express consent.
9. BREACHES OF OBLIGATION AND INDEMNITY
(1) In the event of breaches of obligations as set out in section 7, BCG is entitled to exclude you from the competition and to block or delete content on b@s videochallenge servers, to disable access and, in the case of obviously improper registration or use, to immediately delete it, as well as to take other suitable measures to protect against such breaches. This also applies in case of reasonable suspicion of such breaches. Reasonable suspicion is given particularly if BCG receives a warning from a third party or a court injunction.
(2) As a responsible user, you agree to indemnify BCG from any claims by third parties asserted against BCG in the context of breaches of the abovementioned obligations which you have caused or for which you are responsible, as well as from any resulting costs, including the costs of appropriate legal defense. In addition, you are required to support BCG in defending against abovementioned claims through the issue of statements and with further information. All further rights of BCG remain unaffected.
(1) BCG is liable for damages for which it is responsible in the violation of cardinal obligations. Cardinal obligations are all essential primary contractual obligations that allow the proper execution of the contract, the fulfillment of which you are therefore entitled to rely upon as a contract partner of BCG.
(2) Beyond this, BCG is liable—irrespective of the legal grounds—only for
- damages arising from injury to life, body, or health,
- per the German Product Liability Act,
- in case of assumption of a guarantee of characteristics, or
- if damage was caused by intent or gross negligence on the part of BCG or legal representatives or vicarious agents of BCG.
(3) In case of a slightly negligent violation of cardinal obligations, BCG’s liability is limited to the foreseeable losses typical for this type of contract.
(4) BCG shall not be liable for data losses that could have been prevented through regular backups on the part of the participant.